If it were up to me (and I’m the one cooking, so it is), I would eat this on almost everything. This works well with tacos, curry, meat, salad, eggs, etc. etc. You could even eat it by itself as a savoury breakfast – which is what I did this morning. The only thing I wouldn’t put it on is dessert … and even then I might. The key to getting this dish right is making sure you watch the garlic like a hawk. Don’t burn it. Get it golden. Keep staring and stirring until it turns the colour of turmeric and then get it off the heat. The oil will pick up the colour of the jalapeños and turn it florescent green, which looks great spooned on top of the yogurt. You can make a big batch of this and keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days, which is convenient if you plan to have people over.
Serves: 4; Time: 15 min
- 300g full fat greek yogurt
- 6 garlic cloves cut into slivers
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
1. Heat a pan over medium and add the oils once the pan is hot. Add the garlic and jalapeños and cook until the garlic is golden.
2. Meanwhile zest and juice a lime and add this into the yogurt. Mix in and salt to taste. This should taste bright, fresh, and tangy. If you’re lime isn’t giving you much juice, break open another lime.
3. Once the garlic is golden, spoon the garlic and jalapeños onto the yogurt and gently fold in.